Sunday, November 20, 2011

The secret to super easy apple pie

Spices. That's it. The secret to a successful and super easy apple pie are spices! No measurements needed.
Baking doesn't have to be tricky. Tempted to treat your guests this Thanksgiving with a homemade pie? Try this recipe. 

What you need:
  • Dough (store bought or homemade)
  • 6 -8 apples
  • A bag of cranberries
  • Lemon juice
  • All spice
  • Cinnamon
  • Cardamon
  • Clove
  • Ginger
  • Nutmeg
  • An egg
  • A cookie cutter 
  • A pie dish
You will now create your own recipe, based on your spice preference. 

First, cut your apple slices. Put them in a large mixing bowl. Squeeze lemon juice over them to keep the slices from browning. This also adds a nice zing! Next, add as many cranberries as you see fit. 

Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.

Now it's spice time. The only ratio here is cinnamon is the largest. Every other spice is to taste. In the pie I created, I used three tablespoons of cinnamon. From there, every other spice amount decreased. I used a tablespoon of cardamon. A teaspoon of all spice. Next, a half teaspoon of clove. A small sprinkle of ginger and a few grates of fresh nutmeg. Personally, I like my apple pie spicy. But ultimately, the ratio of spices is literally up to you!

I mixed everything together and then laid a sheet of dough in the un-greased pie dish. I added a decoration to the edges but later had extra dough I wanted to use so I created a thicker crust. Those wiggles were made with my fingers - really easy!

Once the pan was covered, I layered the apple slices in a circular fashion. The cranberries were placed in any crevice I could find! I layered as much of the mixture I could. Whatever was left, I turned into Apple Crisp, just by combining the mixture with oats and almonds!

I rolled out the remainder of the dough and used a cookie cutter to cut out flower shapes, which I placed over the top of the pie. It's okay if the cutouts don't touch one another. 
I whipped up the egg and then gave the top of the pie a wash with it. I placed the pie in the oven for about 45 minutes. However, each oven is different and I don't want you to burn your pie! So, the best way to tell if your pie is done, aside from achieving a beautiful golden color, is if it's bubbling. Once it does that, take her out!

Whipped cream or ice cream (or both!) are excellent toppings to complete your pie. 
Have you ever used cookie cutters for a pie crust? What's your favorite shape?



No comments:

Post a Comment