Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Nutella Sandwich cookies

Nutella is the best food creation ever. Ever!

Out of the jar by the spoonful, on a piece of toast or spread over apples, it pretty much makes anything taste better.

I found this recipe for Nutella Sandwich Cookies a while ago via my favorite foodie website, TasteSpotting. If it's got Nutella in it, I'm game.  I had to curb a cookie craving this weekend and luckily had all the ingredients for these tasty treats on hand. They're super simple to make!
The resulting cookies came out delicious - not too sweet - and soft. Perfection! I will, however, slice the cookies thinner the next time I make them, as they're quite tall when stacked in two!

Here is my adaptation of the recipe.

Nutella Sandwich Cookies

You need:
2 cups of flour
1 teaspoon of baking power
1 stick of butter, room temp
2 tablespoons of cream cheese
2/3 cup of flour
1 egg
1 vanilla bean
Nutella

Directions:
Cream together your butter and cream cheese. Once well mixed, add sugar and mix until the mixture is fluffy.

In a separate bowl, whisk together flour and baking powder.

Mix the egg into the wet mixture. Scrape the inside of the vanilla bean into it as well, and stir. Then, slowly add the dry ingredients into the wet.

Separate the resulting dough into two halves. Wrap each in plastic wrap and roll into a log. Refrigerate each.

(I let mine sit in  the freezer for 20 minutes to harden up because I was too impatient. By this time, the dough had stiffened enough to easily slice.)


Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Remove the dough from the fridge or freezer when you see fit. Slice the rolls into circles. Each cookie doesn't rise much more in the oven than the original refrigerated slice.  Place the circles onto a Silpat (best thing ever!) or line a baking sheet with parchment paper. 

Bake for 10-15 minutes or until the cookies just start to turn a golden color. 

Let them cool a bit (if you can resist!) before assembling with Nutella. I couldn't, which worked out well, because it melted the Nutella a bit. Yum!

An alternative to stacking the cookies is just covering the top of one cookie in Nutella and eating it that way. Either way, these are SO GOOD and I'm going to make them again when I get a chance! The dough can be made ahead of time and frozen until you get a cookie craving. 

And yes, there's definitely some frozen dough in my freezer. Heehe. 

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment